Saturday, March 20, 2021

In Your Backyard - Fort Ligonier January 2021

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Es3TRx8KBHzWeqVpQKizou7n3KoB2_Iy
If you are like me, then the Pennsylvania State travel restrictions have put a damper on several trips that I may have planned. It is honestly quite the bummer in fact since it seems so many people now have “free” time on their hands due to reduced hours or a lay off but they can not actually do anything with it. I purposely stayed awake on New Years Eve this year to make sure that 2020 actually did end, but it seems that 2021 is having a whole lot of carry over. So now we must find our silver linings and here is a bit of good news, according to their web page one museum in Pa is getting ready to open back up for the hopefully the season starting January 8th.
Fort Ligonier located at 200 South Market St Ligonier, Pa 15658 is about two and a half hours away but well worth the drive. This is a fee museum costing $12 per adult, $10 for students ages 17-21, $6 for children ages 6-16, children 5 and under are free and Seniors ages 62+ as well as active military, veterans and law enforcement are $10. The admission covers all the art galleries, the museum and the grounds which you are able to explore.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1rk1AZPOKupyOUUHUOPFBZVcAvI3WSfSS
I have to admit that the very first time I went to a Fort and Museum I was really disappointed with what was on site to see. I felt the trip there was a full 20 minutes of my life that I will never get back. I am not joking about this, the “necessity” to see the place quickly lost its luster. So I was a bit leery about going to another fort museum because at the cost I really did not have high hopes. I was gladly mistaken.
The reconstruction of the fort itself was undertaken in such a way that you actually felt as if you stepped back in time. I enjoy a fair bit of history and I will admit that I lack in the French and Indian War era so it was quite the education. The grounds host an artillery train, a powder magazine and a hospital to explore as well as a reconstruction of General John Forbes hut. The tour itself is self guided and you can wander as you wish.
The museum is amazing and the collection of artifacts and artwork is quite something for such a small area. Learn the role of a young George Washington as well as how Fort Ligonier was vital for the siege and overtaking of Fort Duquesne which allowed for Fort Pitt to be constructed and therefor gave birth to the city of Pittsburgh itself.
The kids will love the cannons and the swords, the adults will love the history and the paintings and everyone will love the gift shop. I found myself reading each plaque not because I spent money to go to the museum, but because I became actually interested in the displays. It was a pleasant surprise and a completely different experience from my prior fort excursion.
If you have a camera I suggest bringing it along for taking some great photos of the grounds, not to mention the scenery on the drive over. If you get a chance to explore the local area there are some great little shops and places for a quick snack.
If the drive or the cost is not in the current budget, then maybe a trip up to Waterford, Pa to Fort Le Boeuf is more in order. Its history is intertwined with Fort Ligonier being from the same era and the admission is free but donations are gladly accepted.
Both places are only open on the weekends, and I would definitely check online for their respective webpages to make sure they are open during the current restrictions which seem to change almost daily. But remember as we go through the next few months to not get discouraged because this too shall pass and we may once again be able to wander at will and not lose our way.

As seen in the Meadville Tribune Jan 11, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Your Backyard October 2020- Benezette Elk

October is my favorite month of the year, when the leaves begin to change, pumpkin spice seems to become the favorite condiment and the weat...